Pages

Wednesday, July 7, 2010

Day 9: A Photo I Took


Again, I'm going to have some fun with this and post two different pics. This first one is more recent; I took it in Morro Bay in April of this year when HubbyButt and I went over and met my cousin and her boyfriend for dinner. This was taken right around sunset, but you can't tell because the day was really overcast and rainy - basically one of those days when it's really nice to curl up with some cocoa and a really good book. What you see in this picture is fishing net on a giant reel; the white things are buoys. I just love the contrast of all the colors in the net against each other and against the steely sky and black reel. I would really like to be able to zoom in on the netting a bit to show off the texture of the net and the buoys and the reel itself; I think rust is just a beautiful texture when photographed. I'd also really like to submit this to the county fair here; our county always has a really big photo exhibit.

This second photo is one I took while in Huntington Beach at our church's annual women's retreat last October. I had just gotten my new camera (well, new to me anyway) and was getting back in the groove of manual focus. I had no idea when I took the picture that the sun was hitting the railing like that! When I picked up the prints, I was amazed. What I was trying to do was just follow the line of the stairs and the rail, and I ended up getting this really cool picture of a ray of light landing right in the middle of the photo. It's these kinds of pictures that I love love love to take. That's one reason I prefer film to digital: You never know exactly what you're going to get, and you're surprised when you get your prints back. Often, you forget exactly what you took pictures of and are reminded of good memories and good times when you get your prints.

No comments:

Post a Comment