Pages

Sunday, July 11, 2010

Day 13: A Fictional Book

Hmm...Well, right now I'm reading Stephen King's The Stand. I'm really enjoying it, but it's taking forever to get through! I've been on a bit of a Stephen King kick for about a year now, and have made my way through Carrie and Under the Dome, both of which I really enjoyed. I also made it almost all the way through The Shining, but got too freaked out at the end to continue. I think cabin fever is one of my greatest fears. I mean, as much as I love HubbyButt and spending time with him, I don't think either of us would make it through a long winter if we had to do so with no other human contact the whole time. I would probably go crazy and kill us both, just like in The Shining. I REALLY enjoyed Under the Dome, King's latest novel. It took a good month (maybe longer) to read, but I'm so glad I stuck with it!

One of the things I LOVE about Stephen King is that he essentially writes about human nature and how we deal with things we're faced with. He's able to create common-sense heroes, and I love with that. The people that are able to keep their cool in intense situations are always the ones that come out on top, at least in King's world. I love love love psychology, and I think King's novel are essentially psychological thrillers; he really digs in and develops his characters.

If you have any suggestions or favorite books I NEED to read, please let me know! I'm a voracious reader and will read just about anything you put in front of me!

3 comments:

  1. I loved The Stand when I was younger! Another really fun book of his (in addition to also being very long) is "IT" which was so scary. I heard that his new book about a dome descending over a town was a fun quick read with a focus on interpersonal relationships.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Also, the original Stand was much shorter than the later released unabridged version. If you're interested in getting through it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks James! I really really liked Under the Dome! Like I said, it's long but totally worth it. I carried it back and forth to work for what seemed like forever; people were asking if it was a Bible.

    ReplyDelete