Pages

Saturday, July 3, 2010

Day 5: My Favorite Quote

Sheesh, this one's hard. I don't know that I necessarily have a favorite quote. One saying I try to live and work by is, "Live beyond reproach." The district manager at the company I work at closes all his emails and meetings by reminding us to manage beyond reproach, and I think that's a pretty good way to live your life. I try to live my life like someone is always watching me, judging what I do, and I make decisions based on that. For example, I'm not going to put myself in a situation where, for instance, potentially embarrassing pictures of myself could be taken and put on display on Facebook for everyone to see, including my boss and coworkers. How can I be an effective supervisor if everyone that works under me has had access to pictures of me, say ... dancing provocatively with someone that's not my husband? I would be the subject of everyone's conversation in that case, and no work would get done; I would no longer be an asset to the company I work with, and I could lose my job as a result. I tend to see things in the big picture, and I can see situations begin to snowball and know exactly how they're going to end up, and I'm not going to put myself at the center of that snowball if I can help it. Now, I don't try to take myself too seriously, I do like to go out and have fun, but I know when to stop, and I think that's part of what living beyond reproach entails. I also think that when people can no longer come to you with questions not only about work, but about life in general, because they're no longer comfortable talking to you about those things based on things they've seen in you, that's not a good thing. That's one thing I really enjoy about my position at work: I'm not a store manager or assistant manager, but I'm a part of the management team as a whole; I am a superior and I think people that I work with are able to trust that what's said between myself and them will stay between myself and them, I'm not going to tell the whole world about so-and-so's problem at home.

Overall, I try to live the way I think Christ would want me to live. I may not follow all Ten Commandments all the time (I know I have a cursing problem), but I'd say I set a good example most of the time. Yes, I have bad thoughts every now and again, and I know that there are some things in my life that I need to forgive and forget and move on from, but I try not to let them interfere with how I live my life and how I lead others. I try to lead by example and live beyond reproach.

No comments:

Post a Comment