Pages

Wednesday, January 12, 2011

Works For Me Wednesday: Cloth Diapers

If you're a friend of mine on Facebook, you know that I'm crazy about cloth diapering. I feel that, next to quitting my job, it is the single best thing that I've been able to do for my daughter. She's had very few rashes, and she screams bloody murder when I try to put her in one of these things:

She much prefers these:
That is all fluff for her butt! I don't need any more girl diapers, period, and I think HubbyButt would have my head if I gave in to temptation and got her this, mostly because it's $20. It's made by a WAHM named Joyce and is called a BSRB.

So, this is Works for Me Wednesday, but I haven't really shown you what works for me in cloth diapering. Right now, I LOVE the way Monkey's room is set up; it's so much more functional, especially the diapering and dressing area.
On the left is the diaper storage cart. This is where I keep everything nice and organized. On the top left is bath stuff (baby oil, wash, lotions), flushable liners (the roll that looks like toilet paper), and a few of the pads the hospital gives you to lay on your bed once you get home to keep everything nice and clean (I use these as changing table covers).

Next we have jammies, on the top right. I used to keep jammies in the dresser, but they're so puffy and take up so much space the drawer would get all messy when I took the jammies out.

The middle left cubby is where I keep all my prefolds. They're bulky, so I fold them in half length-wise and store them here.

The next cubby, the middle right, is covers and Flip inserts; I use the covers over the prefolds, so they're right next to each other.

Finally, the whole bottom is diapers that are ready to go. I pre-stuff all my pocket diapers and store them upside down so that they're ready to go; I also make sure that I have at least 1 Flip in this section.
I can't figure out how to rotate the photo, but this is what our storage cart looks like.

Between the diaper storage and the changing table is a door that is blocked by the changing table. Since I can't open the door, I decided to utilize the space as more storage.

Starting at the top left hand corner, we have all of Monkey's socks and bows in a container I got at the dollar tree. It has a lid, so it's easy to just drop in the over-night bag if Monkey is spending the night at grandma's house.

Between that box and the trash can with the shiny liner is a basket that holds all of Monkey's bibs and burp rags. The basket has now been relocated to the living room, since that's where we spend most of our time.

The trash can with the shiny liner is our diaper pail. We don't use a wet pail, as most of our diapering supplies are microfiber and keeping MF in a wet pail can deteriorate the material. The point of cloth diapering is to save money, and you can't do that if you're constantly having to buy new inserts.

In the front is Monkey's laundry basket and trash can. Pretty self-explanatory, I think.

Finally we have the changing table and dresser. I know a lot of moms don't use changing tables, but I use mine for every at-home change; I love it. There's not much here, as Monkey is pretty long and likes to kick. We keep our coconut oil, washcloths (which are in the old Huggies wipes container, since we use them as wipes), pins and snappi (a handy little guy that replaces pins, and that I haven't quite been able to figure out), and wipes solution (in the blue spray bottle; I use water, baby oil, and baby wash) all on the changing table. I also have a few sample packets of different cloth-safe rash creams and the nasal aspirator (the sucky bulb) in the gap between the changing pad and the end of the table.

And just for the heck of it, here's a new picture of Monkey in cloth.
That's what works for me. What works for you?

No comments:

Post a Comment