Pages

Sunday, January 2, 2011

How to make a Cloth Diaper....Or waste an afternoon

I set out today to sew a diaper using this pattern and the brand spankin' new sewing machine my mom got me for Christmas. I had bought my fabric and elastic a few weeks before Christmas, knowing I would probably get a machine as a gift. So this morning, I threw my flannel in the wash, thinking I would be able to knock out the diaper in the half hour the instructions say it takes to make.

Mind you, I haven't sewn since junior high school, and that was an apron and a surfboard pillow.

Thank God for snow! My aunt, the same one that bought all the pumpkins, decided to come down into the valley this afternoon, as a blizzard was expected in her hometown, and she didn't think she'd be able to make it down the mountain in the morning to get to work. She came over to visit (read: to see the baby) and saw what I was doing. At that point, I had the sewing machine set up on the dining room table and was attempting to figure out what the heck I was doing. She immediately asked where my thread was.

Oops.

So we made a trip to JoAnn's for some thread, and ended up getting some pins, a marking pencil, and a ruler as well. We also got one of those tomato pin-cushions. I named him Bob.

As soon as we got back to the house, we set to work. She started taping the pattern together (it's a PDF that prints on 4 pages) and cutting the fabric, while I got the bobbin and needle threaded. As I type this, we have the sewing machine and fabric ready to go, and we're hoping the snow continues tomorrow, so that she can come over and we can attempt to finish the diaper!

No comments:

Post a Comment