Pages

Tuesday, October 19, 2010

Monkey's Six-Week Check-Up

I'm going to gloat a little bit here: I was right on with the reflux!

We had Monkey's six-week check-up today and Monkey decided that spitting up a three ounce bottle on the way to the scale was a good idea. I just flippantly said to the nurse, "Oh yeah, this is normal," and asked HubbyButt about how long it had been since she ate (it had been an hour, Monkey's upper limit on spitting up). So when the doctor came in, he was asking about her eating and whatnot, and I told him exactly what was going on, and he said it sounds like reflux. Then, and this is what I LOVE about our pediatrician, he brought us a can of Enfamil A.R. to try; if she's still having problems after we've used the whole can, we'll go back and I'm thinking he'll probably prescribe something (which he didn't even try to do today, making Mommy very happy).

Rather than adding rice cereal to the formula, this already has rice starch, which thickens the formula without clogging up the nipple or clumping the formula. Plus, it's actually CHEAPER than what we've been feeding Monkey. For the rest of the day, Monkey has been getting the A.R. and we've had zero spit up! Plus, she's more satisfied with it, since it's thicker, meaning she's eating about an ounce less at each feeding and going longer between feedings, meaning we'll be saving moola on formula! Yay!

So the stats from the check-up today: Monkey now weighs 9 pounds, 10 1/4 ounces, about two and a half pounds more than she weighed at birth! She's also grown 1 1/4 inches, to 21 1/4. She's doing great!

Monkey also got her second hepatitis B vaccine today. She was a total champ and even got a compliment on her diaper (we're actively in cloth, finally!). I had HubbyButt take a picture, just because I'm always thinking in terms of scrapbooking (I also saved her band-aid, it's sparkly!). I think the picture he got is great; Monkey had just started screaming after realizing that she was in pain, poor baby. I felt so bad, having to hold her arms down, but I'm glad I was able to hold her and comfort her and talk to her while it was happening. I know it's just the first of many, and I think we did really well!

No comments:

Post a Comment